Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Barrio Birthday dinner

Happy Birthday to Me

First of all: my dear husband took me to dinner tonight at the new Barrio in Bellevue. We decided to take the tot because we wanted to go to Snowflake Lane afterwards. Our dear Yaya offered to watch her but I thought "hey, I want to hang out with my cute kid". As a result there wasn't a lot of adult conversation but watching a guy make tortillas with Tatum made it worth it.

If you want a kid friendly restaurant, this latest addition to the Heavy restaurant group (also owns the Purple Cafes and the Barrio Capital Hill) probably isn't a first choice. If you want colorable kids menus big squishy booths to hide in, stick to Zeke's pizza. But, they weren't kid UNfriendly either. It wasn't like How to Cook a Wolf where we were told "we don't have high chairs for a reason" when we dared to bring one child to 8 adults (great food by the way, for an adult night out). The server put water in a covered drink cup and offered to bring some blank paper and a pen, and they were able to concoct a kids quesadilla.

The food was fabulous, I had pork tacos that were a different than pork tacos I'm used to. They weren't "shreddy", but strips of almost steaklike pork with a great savory seasoning. The portion sizes were great, and the one bite of drunken beans I had provided a nice light side dish. Unfortunately Tatum ate the rest of the beans, and I'm hoping the results of that will become apparent tomorrow while my mom is watching her.

The night was capped off with Kenny giving me a birthday present that he designed himself. I think were I not simultaneously attending to a two year old I would have cried. His mom helped him find beads of aquamarine and something that is escaping me right now (I want to say saphire but that can't be right?)... the stone of sagittarius, which we both are. He then searched all over for the perfect necklace, and ended up with a sterling silver chain with two pounded silver circles as a pending. The circles were one within the other, and on the very inside, Kenny hung the beads. It was beautiful and thoughtful and I'm a lucky girl!

1 comment: